Azamgarh tense after student`s death in accident
Lucknow: A mob fought pitched battles with police and resorted to arson and vandalism in Uttar Pradesh`s Azamgarh district Friday after a school student was mowed down by a private bus, police said.
Vipin Kumar, 14, was crushed to death by the speeding bus in Aaho Patti area while going to school.
"Agitated over the accident, locals in large numbers indulged in heavy brick batting, torched the private bus and damaged some private vehicles," Superintendent of Police (City) Ashok Kumar told reporters in Azamgarh, some 300 km from Lucknow.
Police are yet to trace the bus driver, who managed to escape soon after the accident.
"Though the situation is under control, it`s still tense. Security at the accident site and nearby areas has been beefed up to avert fresh violence," added Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam