Azharuddin, minister booked for violating poll code of conduct
Lucknow: Former Indian cricket team captain and Congress MP Mohammad Azharuddin and Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways RPN Singh have been charged with violating the election code of conduct ahead of by-polls in Uttar Pradesh, police said Wednesday.
Singh and Azharuddin -- who is the Congress MP from Moradabad -- addressed public meetings in Uttar Pradesh`s Kushinagar district Tuesday, some 300 km from Lucknow, without taking the mandatory permission from the district administration, police said.
"Both of them were booked late Tuesday evening under Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) as they violated the election code of conduct by organising meetings at the grounds of the Udit Naraynan College," police inspector VS Chauhan told an agency.
"In their attempt to solicit support for the Congress candidate, the two also played cricket. On the directions of the district administration, the case was registered against the two," he added.
The Padrauna Assembly seat in Kushinagar district fell vacant when Singh, who was the legislator from it, resigned after winning the Kushinagar Lok Sabha seat. Mohini Devi is the Congress candidate for the Padrauna Assembly seat.
By-elections will take place on November 7 for one Lok Sabha seat (Firozabad) and 11 Assembly seats -- Puwayan, Lucknow West, Isauli, Haiserbazar, Padrauna, Kolasala, Rari, Etawah, Bharthana, Lalitpur and Jhansi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next