Baba Jai Gurudeo cremated
Mathura: Mortal remains of Baba Jai Gurudeo, a renowned saint and peasant leader of north India, were on Monday consigned to flames with scores of leaders and followers attending the ceremony.
Gurudev, 116, died at his ashram here on May 18 after prolonged illness.
Late prime minister Indira Gandhi, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, former Chief Ministers Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Rajnath Singh, former governor Romesh Bhandari and UP PWD minister Shivpal Yadav were among the Gurudev`s disciples.
"To me he was like God. Whatever I am today it is only due to blessings of Baba Jai Gurudeo," said UP minister Shiv Pal Singh Yadav after pyre was lit.
Earlier, scores of Gurudev`s followers lead by Baba Ram Pal Singh and activists of Swadhin Bharat blocked National High demanding that instead of burning the body should be buried.
They were later pacified by the followers and administration, sources said.
UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav have condoled the death of the leader, who used to wear jute bag and led many fights for the rights of farmers in the state.
"With the demise of Baba, virtually an age is over. He taught his disciples to follow the principles of honesty and simplicity. It is an irreparable loss," Akhilesh said yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured