Baba Jai Gurudeo cremated
Mathura: Mortal remains of Baba Jai Gurudeo, a renowned saint and peasant leader of north India, were on Monday consigned to flames with scores of leaders and followers attending the ceremony.
Gurudev, 116, died at his ashram here on May 18 after prolonged illness.
Late prime minister Indira Gandhi, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, former Chief Ministers Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Rajnath Singh, former governor Romesh Bhandari and UP PWD minister Shivpal Yadav were among the Gurudev`s disciples.
"To me he was like God. Whatever I am today it is only due to blessings of Baba Jai Gurudeo," said UP minister Shiv Pal Singh Yadav after pyre was lit.
Earlier, scores of Gurudev`s followers lead by Baba Ram Pal Singh and activists of Swadhin Bharat blocked National High demanding that instead of burning the body should be buried.
They were later pacified by the followers and administration, sources said.
UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav have condoled the death of the leader, who used to wear jute bag and led many fights for the rights of farmers in the state.
"With the demise of Baba, virtually an age is over. He taught his disciples to follow the principles of honesty and simplicity. It is an irreparable loss," Akhilesh said yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report