Baba Jai Gurudeo cremated
Mathura: Mortal remains of Baba Jai Gurudeo, a renowned saint and peasant leader of north India, were on Monday consigned to flames with scores of leaders and followers attending the ceremony.
Gurudev, 116, died at his ashram here on May 18 after prolonged illness.
Late prime minister Indira Gandhi, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, former Chief Ministers Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Rajnath Singh, former governor Romesh Bhandari and UP PWD minister Shivpal Yadav were among the Gurudev`s disciples.
"To me he was like God. Whatever I am today it is only due to blessings of Baba Jai Gurudeo," said UP minister Shiv Pal Singh Yadav after pyre was lit.
Earlier, scores of Gurudev`s followers lead by Baba Ram Pal Singh and activists of Swadhin Bharat blocked National High demanding that instead of burning the body should be buried.
They were later pacified by the followers and administration, sources said.
UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav have condoled the death of the leader, who used to wear jute bag and led many fights for the rights of farmers in the state.
"With the demise of Baba, virtually an age is over. He taught his disciples to follow the principles of honesty and simplicity. It is an irreparable loss," Akhilesh said yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH