Baba Jai Gurudeo cremated
Mathura: Mortal remains of Baba Jai Gurudeo, a renowned saint and peasant leader of north India, were on Monday consigned to flames with scores of leaders and followers attending the ceremony.
Gurudev, 116, died at his ashram here on May 18 after prolonged illness.
Late prime minister Indira Gandhi, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, former Chief Ministers Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Rajnath Singh, former governor Romesh Bhandari and UP PWD minister Shivpal Yadav were among the Gurudev`s disciples.
"To me he was like God. Whatever I am today it is only due to blessings of Baba Jai Gurudeo," said UP minister Shiv Pal Singh Yadav after pyre was lit.
Earlier, scores of Gurudev`s followers lead by Baba Ram Pal Singh and activists of Swadhin Bharat blocked National High demanding that instead of burning the body should be buried.
They were later pacified by the followers and administration, sources said.
UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav and SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav have condoled the death of the leader, who used to wear jute bag and led many fights for the rights of farmers in the state.
"With the demise of Baba, virtually an age is over. He taught his disciples to follow the principles of honesty and simplicity. It is an irreparable loss," Akhilesh said yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015