Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away
Mathura: Spiritual guru Baba Jai Gurudev, who had millions of followers, passed away here late Friday after prolonged illness, a spokesman for his ashram said. He was 116 years old.
In his last moments, he was brought to Mathura in Uttar Pradesh from the Medanta City Hospital in Gurgaon.
As news of his demise spread, thousands of devotees made a beeline to his ashram on the Agra-Delhi highway, weeping inconsolably.
Considered a cult figure for his simplicity and social service, Jai Gurudev had followers mostly in villages and small towns.
Known for preaching simple living, his devotees wore clothes made of jute and cotton.
Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav and his younger brother, PWD Minister Shivpal Singh Yadav, are ardent admirers of Jai Gurudev.
Managers at his ashram said the body would be kept for two days to allow his followers and devotees to pay their last respects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore