Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away
Mathura: Spiritual guru Baba Jai Gurudev, who had millions of followers, passed away here late Friday after prolonged illness, a spokesman for his ashram said. He was 116 years old.
In his last moments, he was brought to Mathura in Uttar Pradesh from the Medanta City Hospital in Gurgaon.
As news of his demise spread, thousands of devotees made a beeline to his ashram on the Agra-Delhi highway, weeping inconsolably.
Considered a cult figure for his simplicity and social service, Jai Gurudev had followers mostly in villages and small towns.
Known for preaching simple living, his devotees wore clothes made of jute and cotton.
Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav and his younger brother, PWD Minister Shivpal Singh Yadav, are ardent admirers of Jai Gurudev.
Managers at his ashram said the body would be kept for two days to allow his followers and devotees to pay their last respects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation