Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away
Mathura: Spiritual guru Baba Jai Gurudev, who had millions of followers, passed away here late Friday after prolonged illness, a spokesman for his ashram said. He was 116 years old.
In his last moments, he was brought to Mathura in Uttar Pradesh from the Medanta City Hospital in Gurgaon.
As news of his demise spread, thousands of devotees made a beeline to his ashram on the Agra-Delhi highway, weeping inconsolably.
Considered a cult figure for his simplicity and social service, Jai Gurudev had followers mostly in villages and small towns.
Known for preaching simple living, his devotees wore clothes made of jute and cotton.
Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav and his younger brother, PWD Minister Shivpal Singh Yadav, are ardent admirers of Jai Gurudev.
Managers at his ashram said the body would be kept for two days to allow his followers and devotees to pay their last respects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi