Babri demolition anniversary passes off peacefully
Lucknow: The 20th anniversary of Babri Mosque demolition passed off peacefully on a sombre note in the twin towns of Ayodhya and Faizabad and the surrounding areas amidst tight security arrangements.
While shops and business establishments owned by Muslims remained partially closed and main markets wore a deserted look it being a weekly off day in Faizabad, black flags were seen at some of the mosques.
Crowds came out in the areas where weekly local markets are organised in view of the ongoing marriage season.
Official sources said that life remained normal with both the communities observing the day in their own ways separately, although security forces remained on high alert at all the sensitive points in the twin town.
While Muslim organisations observe the day as "black day", Hindu outfits observe it as "shaurya diwas".
Hindu groups led by VHP organised recital of `Hanuman Chalisa’ at the Kar Sewakpuram in the morning to reiterate their resolve for the construction of Ram Temple at the disputed site.
Force in large numbers was deployed at all the crossings to maintain round the clock vigil on the situation which was reported to be peaceful, district administration said.
Petitioner in the Babri Mosque demolition case, Hashim Ansari, when contacted said that there is no animosity between the two communities.
"Politics is still being played in the name of Babri mosque case but the communities and the people want peace," Ansari said, adding that he had full faith in the judicial process and the matter now rests in the hands of the court.
In Lucknow, several Muslim organisations held a protest demonstration before the Vidhan Sabha demanding rebuilding of the mosque and punishment to those guilty of demolition.
The 16th century Babri Mosque was demolished by Hindu fundamentalists on this day in 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp