Badaun gang-rape case: Main accused Pappu Yadav arrested
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Lucknow: On a day when the Allahabad High Court is due to hear a PIL on Badaun gang-rape and murder case, the Special Task Force on Wednesday arrested Pappu Yadav, the main accused in the case.
According to reports, Yadav has now been taken into police custody after a medical test was conducted on him.
The STF of the UP police will interrogate him for more leds in the case.
Later in the day, the Allahabad High Court will hear a PIL seeking direction for a CBI probe into the gang-rape and murder case of two Dalit girls in Badaun, which has come as a major embarrassment for the Akhilesh Yadav government in Uttar Pradesh.
The court`s vacation bench, comprising Justices Imtiyaz Murtaza and Rajan Roy, fixed the date for the hearing today on the PIL filed by NGO `We the People` through its general secretary Prince Lenin.
Acting on the earlier directive of the court, the Uttar Pradesh government had submitted the copy of the notification recommending CBI probe into the incident through Additional Advocate General Bulbul Godiyal.
In its petition, the NGO, which submitted the copies of the FIR and post-mortem reports, has sought direction for a CBI probe into the incident as well as action against the accused police officers, besides providing adequate security to the family members of the victims.
Bodies of the two cousins, aged 14 and 15 years, were found hanging with a tree in Katra Sadatganj village last month, triggering nationwide outrage.
A case was lodged against seven persons, including two policemen, in this regard of which five had been arrested.
In a significant development, the Centre on Tuesday recommended the CBI probe into the Badaun gang-rape case.
The recommendation from the central government came following a high-level discussion with the state Home department and the DoPT (Department of Personnel and Training) secretary on the case to being handed over to the CBI.
"In Badaun incident, the family members are demanding a CBI inquiry. Today I talked to secretary DoPT and have got a positive response. We have already written a letter recommending probe," UP Principal Secretary (Home) Deepak Singh Singhal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India