Bail plea of NRHM scam suspect dismissed
New Delhi: A private firm owner, fearing
arrest by the CBI for his suspected involvement in the Uttar
Pradesh`s National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam, has been
denied anticipatory bail by a Delhi court.
Special Judge Talwant Singh rejected the anticipatory
bail plea of Delhi-based firm Surya Tej Earth Movers` Director
Sumit Tandon, who had approached the court fearing that the
CBI was looking for him and his brother-in-law Sachin Kohli,
suspecting them to be involved in the scam.
The court rejected Tandon`s plea saying that it was not a
fit case for anticipatory bail at this juncture.
"Keeping in view the seriousness and nature of allegations
where huge funds of government were mis-appropriated and the
government was cheated in NRHM scheme and the accused had
neither joined investigation nor he is supplying necessary
documents, this is not a fit case to grant anticipatory bail,"
the judge said.
The court, in its order pronounced on March 22, also
pointed out that it lacks territorial jurisdiction as the case
is being adjudicated by the Ghaziabad special CBI court.
The agency earlier had filed charge sheet before the
Ghaziabad special CBI court against former UP bureaucrat P K
Jain and several others for the alleged irregularities,
committed by them in utilising funds allocated under the NRHM
All those named in the charge sheet are at present in the
judicial custody. The CBI has filed 13 cases to probe alleged
irregularities in utilising Rs 10,000 crore funds allocated
under the centrally-sponsored NRHM to UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'