Bajpayi likely to be Uttar Pradesh BJP chief
Lucknow: The state unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is set to elect its new president in the next two days. Insiders say that the election of Laxmikant Bajpayi to the post is a forgone conclusion.
As part of the organisational polls which are underway, voting to elect the president is scheduled for December 2, after nominations are filed on Saturday.
The party is also holding a meeting of leaders who have been elected to the state executive. All legislators, MPs and district presidents have been invited to that meeting.
While polling will be conducted as per the party constitution, there is little doubt that Laxmikant Bajpayi will be elected president of the state BJP.
"Everyone has the right to contest, but we do not envisage anyone doing so. The track record of Bajpayi in the last seven months has been excellent," a party office bearer said.
Bajpayi, a western UP leader with a clean image, is credited with leading the party to victory in municipal corporations across the state.
He is known to be a cadre man, probably the sole legislator in the UP Assembly to regularly ride a scooter.
There are many who believe that Bajpayi`s leadership would be crucial to mobilising the party cadre ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day