Bajpayi likely to be Uttar Pradesh BJP chief
Lucknow: The state unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is set to elect its new president in the next two days. Insiders say that the election of Laxmikant Bajpayi to the post is a forgone conclusion.
As part of the organisational polls which are underway, voting to elect the president is scheduled for December 2, after nominations are filed on Saturday.
The party is also holding a meeting of leaders who have been elected to the state executive. All legislators, MPs and district presidents have been invited to that meeting.
While polling will be conducted as per the party constitution, there is little doubt that Laxmikant Bajpayi will be elected president of the state BJP.
"Everyone has the right to contest, but we do not envisage anyone doing so. The track record of Bajpayi in the last seven months has been excellent," a party office bearer said.
Bajpayi, a western UP leader with a clean image, is credited with leading the party to victory in municipal corporations across the state.
He is known to be a cadre man, probably the sole legislator in the UP Assembly to regularly ride a scooter.
There are many who believe that Bajpayi`s leadership would be crucial to mobilising the party cadre ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?