Bajrang Dal activists threaten couples celebrating Valentine``s Day in Kanpur
Kanpur: Bajrang Dal activists took on a moral policing role in Uttar Pradesh`s Kanpur city on Monday, as they threatened couples celebrating the Valentine`s Day and also made them hold their ears and do sit-ups as punishment.
Meanwhile, several other political outfits tried to convert the day into a political battle, with the Congress party claiming to give protection to those celebrating the day, while the Bajrang Dal condemned it.
Congress Party leader KK Tiwari said they would provide security to couples in parks and hotels.
"Some anti-social elements are doing anti-social activities. A person can assume anyone as his or her valentine. This is not necessary that a boy would consider only his beloved as his valentine. A person can assume even their parents as their valentine", said Tiwari.
"So, we have decided that we will provide security to people around parks and hotels at city-level. We have deployed our security teams, who are constantly keeping an eye and will continue to do so", he added.
The Bajrang Dal activists on the other hand condemned the Congress for supporting the "attack of Western culture on Indian culture".
"All anti-social incidents are happening through Congress. Congress should come out of the state of unconsciousness, and its activists should be with us for saving the Indian culture. This Valentine`s Day is an attack of Western culture on Indian culture", said Shailendra Dixit, a Bajrang Dal leader.
"We are strictly protesting the people who are supporting this attack. They are our enemies and Bajrang Dal knows how to behave with their enemies", he added.
Activists said that by celebrating Valentine`s Day, the youngsters are subverting Indian culture by behaving in an uncouth manner in public places.
Saint Valentine`s Day, commonly shortened to Valentine`s Day, is an annual commemoration held on February 14 celebrating love and affection between intimate companions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested