Bajrang Dal leader held for violence during Mahapanchayat
Meerut: Bajrang Dal leader Balraj Singh Dungar was on Friday arrested here for his alleged role in the violence that broke out during Mahapanchayat organised in support of BJP MLA Sangeet Som, police said.
The arrest was opposed by some religious and political outfits, following which security has been beefed up in sensitive areas here, SP (City) Om Prakash said.
Dungar was arrested for allegedly instigating the violence by making inflammatory speeches during the Mahapanchayat meet organised to protest slapping of NSA on Som in connection with Muzaffarnagar riots, he said.
The Bajrang Dal leader was absconding since the incident and was arrested from Kankar Khera region, the SP said.
Strict action would be taken against those who try to oppose Dungar`s arrest or defy police orders, he said.
The Mahapanchayat was called in September by Som`s brother Sagar and wife against slapping of the National Security Act on the MLA in connection with the Muzaffarnagar violence.
Clashes broke out when rumours spread that some women were injured in caning by police at the venue. Irate villagers had pelted stones on the police personnel deployed there and burnt police vehicles.
Following the incident, a case was registered against Dungar, 130 named accused and 3,500 unidentified accused.
62 persons were killed and over 40,000 rendered homeless by the riots in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof