Bajrangi can file nomination from jail: Court
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday allowed
alleged gangster Munna Bajrangi to forward his nomination
papers for Uttar Pradesh assembly poll through the
Superintendent of Tihar Jail.
"In my humble opinion, the applicant can forward his
nomination paper through Superintendent of Jail concerned
where he is lodged," Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod
He also directed the Director General (Prisons) to make
necessary arrangements through Jail Superintendent for sending
Bajrangi`s duly signed nomination paper to the appropriate
authority in Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, before due date.
Prem Prakash, alias Bajrangi, was arrested in 2009 and is
facing a series of charges, including those under stringent
MCOCA. He is also facing trial along with MLA Mukhtar Ansari
and others for allegedly murdering BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai in
The issue of Bajrangi`s eligibility to contest the
elections cropped up as the CMM, who had received Bajrangi`s
plea to send him to his native place Jaunpur to file his poll
nomination paper for polls from Madhiyahu constituency, had
asked the sessions court if it had any objection to Bajrangi`s
plea being allowed.
The sessions court, which is hearing a MCOCA case against
Bajrangi, in turn sought the report from the CMM`s court on
Bajrangi`s eligibility to contest the poll.
An affidavit was filed in the court by Bajrangi`s nephew
saying he is eligible for contesting the election and is not
under any legal impediment barring him from doing so.
The CMM, however, said "this court does not have
jurisdiction to rule upon the eligibility or otherwise of the
applicant (Bajrangi) for contesting the legislative assembly
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey