Balia boat tragedy: Toll climbs to 57
Ballia: With the recovery of 12
more bodies from Ganga River on Tuesday, the death toll in the boat
tragedy in Dubahar area has climbed to 57, police said.
"Since early morning 12 more bodies have been fished
out from the river by the divers," station house officer of
Dubahar Shobhnath Yadav said.
The search operation is continuing in the area.
The incident occurred yesterday when a boat carrying
villagers, mainly from four families in Ujveria, was
proceeding from Ojhawalia ghat to attend a family function on
the other side of the river and capsized.
"Rescuers found 45 bodies till late last night. Among
the dead were 17 children, 14 women and 14 men," police said.
Police said 17 people were either rescued or managed
to swim to safety.
A magisterial inquiry had been ordered into the cause
of the mishap.
"The inquiry will be conducted by additional D M A K
Dwiwedi. An FIR will also be lodged against the driver of the
vessel," District Magistrate C Senthil Pandiyan had said.
Chief Minister Mayawati had announced an ex-gratia
of Rs one lakh each to the kin of those killed in the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ