Balia boat tragedy: Toll climbs to 57
Ballia: With the recovery of 12
more bodies from Ganga River on Tuesday, the death toll in the boat
tragedy in Dubahar area has climbed to 57, police said.
"Since early morning 12 more bodies have been fished
out from the river by the divers," station house officer of
Dubahar Shobhnath Yadav said.
The search operation is continuing in the area.
The incident occurred yesterday when a boat carrying
villagers, mainly from four families in Ujveria, was
proceeding from Ojhawalia ghat to attend a family function on
the other side of the river and capsized.
"Rescuers found 45 bodies till late last night. Among
the dead were 17 children, 14 women and 14 men," police said.
Police said 17 people were either rescued or managed
to swim to safety.
A magisterial inquiry had been ordered into the cause
of the mishap.
"The inquiry will be conducted by additional D M A K
Dwiwedi. An FIR will also be lodged against the driver of the
vessel," District Magistrate C Senthil Pandiyan had said.
Chief Minister Mayawati had announced an ex-gratia
of Rs one lakh each to the kin of those killed in the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials
- US condemns North Korea missile test-fire, calls it 'provocation'