Banda rape case: Hang MLA, says Dalit girl
Banda: Released from prison after a little over a month, the minor backward community girl allegedly raped by a BSP MLA and later framed in a fake theft
case on Monday said she wanted her tormentor to be hanged and accused the police of beating her while the legislator`s brother watched.
"I want that he should be hanged," the 17-year-old said, a day after she walked free yesterday from Banda district jail, about 220 km from Lucknow, where the rape accused Purshottam Naresh Dwiwedi, 48, was also lodged.
She alleged that the policemen assaulted her in the presence of the MLA`s brother. "The policemen there beat me up. His (MLA`s) brother Raja was sitting right there in front."
The teenager was released following a direction from Chief Minister Mayawati, who faced severe embarrassment over the incident involving her party MLA and the Allahabad High Court ordered that the girl be "released forthwith from jail
unconditionally" and "adequate security" be provided to thealleged victim and her family.
Mayawati ordered the Dalit girl`s release on the basis of a probe by CBI-CID which found the allegations leveled against her to be untrue and said action will be taken against policemen involved in harassing the minor who was charged with theft apparently as part of a "conspiracy" after she was allegedly raped by Dwiwedi.
The girl said she was living in fear. "I am very afraid. I want that I should be given a safe place to live," she said.
Sub-inspector Jabbar Ahmad was yesterday suspended for manhandling the girl during her detention in the police station.
The girl alleged that Ahmed refuse to take her statement. "He only took the version of the MLA," she said. The victim said she was confident that she would get justice now.
The release order was issued two days ahead of the hearing on bail application of the girl in a Banda court.
The girl was arrested on December 12 on charges o committing theft at the MLA`s residence.
She later alleged she was raped twice by the MLA on December 10 and 11 and stuck to her allegations in a statement made before a local court on January 10 after which it ordered police to take immediate legal action.
"The chief minister has ordered the release of the girl currently lodged in Banda Jail on the basis of a report submitted by the CB-CID," an official spokesman said in
Lucknow yesterday. He said there was a provision under which the chief minister can order release of an undertrial if it has been settled that the case was "fake".
Detailed probe will continue, the spokesman said.
The Allahabad High Court ordered that the girl shall be "entrusted to the care of her parents".
The order was passed by a specially-constituted Division Bench comprising Justice Imtiyaz Murtaza and Justice SC Agarwal, which took suo motu cognizance of a newspaper report wherein it was stated that the teenaged girl might have to spend "a few more days" in jail despite having been given a clean chit by the CB-CID.
Mayawati said that the state government would ensure hearing of case in a fast-track court.
The High Court took serious note of the fact that the MLA, suspended from the Bahujan Samaj Party, was lodged in the same jail as the victim.
It also also expressed concern over the report quoting the MLA that "revenge will be exacted from parties that got me framed in the case".
"In view of this, it is directed that the SP Banda shall provide adequate security to the victim and the family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27