Banda rape: Ex-BSP MLA chargesheeted by CBI
Lucknow: Former BSP MLA Purushottam Dwivedi along with two others was on Monday chargesheeted by CBI in connection with the sensational case of rape of a minor dalit girl who was later jailed on false theft charges in Banda.
The Central Bureau of Investigation filed two chargesheets in the court of Additional District Judge-I Banda on the allegations of rape and molestation - one against the then MLA of Banda(UP) under Section 376 of IPC (rape) and the second against two other private persons under Section 323 and 354 of IPC, a CBI spokesperson said.
Section 354 relates to assault or criminal force on a woman with intent to outrage her modesty while section 323 deals with voluntarily causing hurt to someone.
The CBI had filed FIR against Dwivedi and four others on the directions of Supreme Court which on September 12 last year directed the agency to take over probe in the case.
"After thorough investigation, CBI filed two chargesheets -- one against the then MLA and another against two accused persons. Since allegations against two other accused were not substantiated during investigation, no chargesheet had been filed against them," the spokesperson said.
The 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by Dwivedi, who then represented Naraini seat in UP Assembly, in Banda, 220 kms from here, on December 10 and 11, 2010. The girl had escaped from his residence on December 12 when he allegedly attempted to rape her again.
After the incident, the girl was arrested on theft charges following a complaint by the MLA.
After the incident came to light in January last year, the then Chief Minister Mayawati ordered a CB-CID probe following which the girl was released. Dwivedi was suspended from BSP and a case registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!