Banda rape: Ex-BSP MLA chargesheeted by CBI
Lucknow: Former BSP MLA Purushottam Dwivedi along with two others was on Monday chargesheeted by CBI in connection with the sensational case of rape of a minor dalit girl who was later jailed on false theft charges in Banda.
The Central Bureau of Investigation filed two chargesheets in the court of Additional District Judge-I Banda on the allegations of rape and molestation - one against the then MLA of Banda(UP) under Section 376 of IPC (rape) and the second against two other private persons under Section 323 and 354 of IPC, a CBI spokesperson said.
Section 354 relates to assault or criminal force on a woman with intent to outrage her modesty while section 323 deals with voluntarily causing hurt to someone.
The CBI had filed FIR against Dwivedi and four others on the directions of Supreme Court which on September 12 last year directed the agency to take over probe in the case.
"After thorough investigation, CBI filed two chargesheets -- one against the then MLA and another against two accused persons. Since allegations against two other accused were not substantiated during investigation, no chargesheet had been filed against them," the spokesperson said.
The 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by Dwivedi, who then represented Naraini seat in UP Assembly, in Banda, 220 kms from here, on December 10 and 11, 2010. The girl had escaped from his residence on December 12 when he allegedly attempted to rape her again.
After the incident, the girl was arrested on theft charges following a complaint by the MLA.
After the incident came to light in January last year, the then Chief Minister Mayawati ordered a CB-CID probe following which the girl was released. Dwivedi was suspended from BSP and a case registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year