Banda rape: SC to hear plea for judicial probe
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today agreed to
consider a plea for a judicial inquiry into the alleged rape
of a girl by Uttar Pradesh BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi
A bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia decided to consider
the desirability of a judicial probe into the incident as
senior counsel Harish Salve, during the hearing of another
plea linked to the issue of police reform, mentioned the
incident, seeking an indpendent probe into it.
The bench asked Salve to file a formal application before
the court for the probe before Friday when it would examine
During the hearing of a plea for expeditious
implementation of Septemebr 2006 directions of the apex court
on police reform, Salve mentioned the incident involving the
BSP legislator and sought an inquiry by the Allahabad district
judge or by someone from "outside the area".
He also sought the court`s directions for a probe
report to the bench within a week.
48-year-old Dwivedi was arrested in Banda last week
for allegedly raping a 17-year-old Dalit girl who earlier
worked as his maid.
The girl was allegedly raped on December 10 and 11 at
the legislators`s residence from where she escaped on December
12 when the MLA allegedly attempted to rape her again for the
The girl, however, was arrested by the police in
connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by
the legislator`s brother against her.
Then girl had told her brother about the incident when
she was produced before the court on December 24 in connection
with theft charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured