Banda rape: SC to hear plea for judicial probe
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today agreed to
consider a plea for a judicial inquiry into the alleged rape
of a girl by Uttar Pradesh BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi
A bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia decided to consider
the desirability of a judicial probe into the incident as
senior counsel Harish Salve, during the hearing of another
plea linked to the issue of police reform, mentioned the
incident, seeking an indpendent probe into it.
The bench asked Salve to file a formal application before
the court for the probe before Friday when it would examine
During the hearing of a plea for expeditious
implementation of Septemebr 2006 directions of the apex court
on police reform, Salve mentioned the incident involving the
BSP legislator and sought an inquiry by the Allahabad district
judge or by someone from "outside the area".
He also sought the court`s directions for a probe
report to the bench within a week.
48-year-old Dwivedi was arrested in Banda last week
for allegedly raping a 17-year-old Dalit girl who earlier
worked as his maid.
The girl was allegedly raped on December 10 and 11 at
the legislators`s residence from where she escaped on December
12 when the MLA allegedly attempted to rape her again for the
The girl, however, was arrested by the police in
connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by
the legislator`s brother against her.
Then girl had told her brother about the incident when
she was produced before the court on December 24 in connection
with theft charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!