Banda rape: SC to hear plea for judicial probe
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today agreed to
consider a plea for a judicial inquiry into the alleged rape
of a girl by Uttar Pradesh BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi
A bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia decided to consider
the desirability of a judicial probe into the incident as
senior counsel Harish Salve, during the hearing of another
plea linked to the issue of police reform, mentioned the
incident, seeking an indpendent probe into it.
The bench asked Salve to file a formal application before
the court for the probe before Friday when it would examine
During the hearing of a plea for expeditious
implementation of Septemebr 2006 directions of the apex court
on police reform, Salve mentioned the incident involving the
BSP legislator and sought an inquiry by the Allahabad district
judge or by someone from "outside the area".
He also sought the court`s directions for a probe
report to the bench within a week.
48-year-old Dwivedi was arrested in Banda last week
for allegedly raping a 17-year-old Dalit girl who earlier
worked as his maid.
The girl was allegedly raped on December 10 and 11 at
the legislators`s residence from where she escaped on December
12 when the MLA allegedly attempted to rape her again for the
The girl, however, was arrested by the police in
connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by
the legislator`s brother against her.
Then girl had told her brother about the incident when
she was produced before the court on December 24 in connection
with theft charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?