Bank manager arrested in multi-crore scam
Muzaffarnagar: The branch manager of a public sector bank was arrested for his alleged involvement in a multi-crore scam in the Uttar Pradesh social welfare department, police said on Thursday.
The Bank of Baroda`s branch manager Mahender Singh was produced in the local court today, which remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days.
According to prosecution, police registered a case against 11 people including several department officials and bank managers for opening fake bank accounts in the name of district social welfare officer and misappropriation of government funds worth crores.
A former district welfare officer, Rinku Singh Rahi, had alleged a multi-crore scam in the social welfare department by staging a dharna in Lucknow seeking reply to an RTI query in connection with the "scam".
The Samajwadi Party government had ordered a probe into Rahi`s charges after coming to power in March this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?