Bank manager arrested in multi-crore scam
Muzaffarnagar: The branch manager of a public sector bank was arrested for his alleged involvement in a multi-crore scam in the Uttar Pradesh social welfare department, police said on Thursday.
The Bank of Baroda`s branch manager Mahender Singh was produced in the local court today, which remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days.
According to prosecution, police registered a case against 11 people including several department officials and bank managers for opening fake bank accounts in the name of district social welfare officer and misappropriation of government funds worth crores.
A former district welfare officer, Rinku Singh Rahi, had alleged a multi-crore scam in the social welfare department by staging a dharna in Lucknow seeking reply to an RTI query in connection with the "scam".
The Samajwadi Party government had ordered a probe into Rahi`s charges after coming to power in March this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price