Bank manager arrested in multi-crore scam
Muzaffarnagar: The branch manager of a public sector bank was arrested for his alleged involvement in a multi-crore scam in the Uttar Pradesh social welfare department, police said on Thursday.
The Bank of Baroda`s branch manager Mahender Singh was produced in the local court today, which remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days.
According to prosecution, police registered a case against 11 people including several department officials and bank managers for opening fake bank accounts in the name of district social welfare officer and misappropriation of government funds worth crores.
A former district welfare officer, Rinku Singh Rahi, had alleged a multi-crore scam in the social welfare department by staging a dharna in Lucknow seeking reply to an RTI query in connection with the "scam".
The Samajwadi Party government had ordered a probe into Rahi`s charges after coming to power in March this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!