Banks must ensure poor get loans easily: Rahul Gandhi
Amethi: Amid complaints that the poor do not get loans easily unlike the rich, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said farmers and women, who were most needy, should be helped as they take the country forward.
"I have been told by people that while the rich get loans easily, those who are most needy, including poor farmers and women do not...," he said inaugurating a UCO Bank branch in his Lok Sabha constituency.
Before the functions, students of government girls inter college sat on dharna at Jais to protest lack of facilities and teachers. Rahul`s route was diverted in view of the protest.
On complaints regarding difficulty in getting loans, the Congress leader said, "I will like to tell bank officials that this should not happen. I am confident that everyone is treated equally."
Rahul said those who are most needy should be helped "because they are the people, who take the country forward."
He said the new computerised branch will provide farmers and women all facilities which till now were available in big cities like Delhi and Bangalore. Rahul also distributed Kisan Credit Cards among beneficiaries.
On the occasion, the bank adopted two villages - Bhadar and Ghroa.
Earlier, the Congress leader attended a meeting of the district vigilance and monitoring committee in which it was stated that Amethi has ranked 6th in the state in MNREGA implementation. Rahul said efforts should be made to take it to the top position.
On complaints of beneficiaries of Indira Awas scheme being asked to pay bribe, it was decided that an inquiry would be conducted and action taken against erring officials.
It was proposed at the meeting that pension to the old, widow and physically impaired should be sent to nationalised banks instead of cooperative banks.
A suggestion was also made that efforts should be made to ensure adequate funds for the newly formed Amethi district as it was not getting budgetary support under the Indira Awas Yojna.
The meeting decided to constitute two committees under the Prime Minister`s Road scheme. The first committee would examine the condition of roads that were more than seven years old, while the second would carry out technical survey of roads constructed under the scheme.
It was also decided that 419 hand-pumps installed under MNREGA and were non-functional should be repaired and an inquiry be conducted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India