Bareilly mayor detained during Mayawati`s visit
Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh): Bareilly Mayor Supriya Aron was allegedly detained in her house by police Wednesday in a bid to prevent her from meeting Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati during her visit here.
Aron, a Congress leader, managed to sneak out of her house after putting on a burqa but was intercepted by police.
She was kept under detention till Mayawati`s departure.
"My idea was to simply apprise the chief minister of certain problems faced by the city on account of lack of government support, but the administration refused to allow me to leave my home where I was literally kept under house arrest," Aron told reporters.
"I tried slipping out in a burqa but was hauled up (by police) and kept under confinement at the DIG`s (deputy inspector general`s) office, which is just not done," she said.
"You can yourself imagine the extent of oppression in a place where a democratically elected woman mayor is not allowed to convey the voice of the masses to a visiting chief minister," Aron said.
The mayor`s husband Praveen Aron, who is the sitting Lok Sabha member of the Congress from the area, flayed the chief minister for turning the city into a "curfew bound area" during her visit.
State Congress spokesman Subodh Srivastava told IANS in Lucknow: "The chief minister`s security is understandable but you cannot take it beyond all limits where the common man is subjected to inhuman treatment and even the city mayor, who is recognised as the first citizen, is physically prevented from meeting the visiting chief minister."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH