Bareilly violence kills one, curfew on
Lucknow: At least one person was killed and several injured when communal violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh`s Bareilly district late Sunday, police said on Monday.
Trouble erupted when some Muslims objected to music played by the Kanwariyas or the Shiv devotees who were returning from Haridwar, a police source said.
Outraged, the Kanwariyas resorted to violence, vandalized shops and public property and set on fire many vehicles in the Jogi Navada locality, a police officer said. One person was killed in the firing in Math Chowki area.
According to police, at least two dozen people were injured in the violence that broke out in many parts of the city and continued past midnight.
Hundreds of people emerged from their houses in Shahdana. A police team was attacked in Azamnagar. Many policemen, including the superintendent of police (SP), were injured in the stone pelting.
Police lobbed tear gas shells at the rioting mobs but could not contain the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city