Bareilly violence kills one, curfew on
Lucknow: At least one person was killed and several injured when communal violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh`s Bareilly district late Sunday, police said on Monday.
Trouble erupted when some Muslims objected to music played by the Kanwariyas or the Shiv devotees who were returning from Haridwar, a police source said.
Outraged, the Kanwariyas resorted to violence, vandalized shops and public property and set on fire many vehicles in the Jogi Navada locality, a police officer said. One person was killed in the firing in Math Chowki area.
According to police, at least two dozen people were injured in the violence that broke out in many parts of the city and continued past midnight.
Hundreds of people emerged from their houses in Shahdana. A police team was attacked in Azamnagar. Many policemen, including the superintendent of police (SP), were injured in the stone pelting.
Police lobbed tear gas shells at the rioting mobs but could not contain the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video