Be more vigilant on NREGS, says Rahul Gandhi
Amethi: On a visit to his Lok Sabha
constituency with sister Priyanka, Congress general secretary
Rahul Gandhi on Friday said though the rural job guarantee scheme
NREGS was showing good results, there was a need to be
vigilant for better performance.
Addressing a gathering at Argaon in Gauriganj area, Rahul
said he aimed to make the society prosperous and ensure that
benefits of development reached the common man.
Inspecting a compost plant, he apprised the people of the
various central government schemes for uplift of villages and
said everyone would have to work jointly for the development
of the society and the country. There was a need to do a lot
of work in villages, he noted.
He said under the recently-launched `Priyadarshni Yojna`,
rural youth and women would get more employment opportunities
in villages with the help of the World Bank. "The aim of the
scheme is to stop migration from villages by creating job
opportunities there only," he said.
Praising her brother`s efforts in uplift of the poor,
Priyanka said the real benefit of development schemes in the
villages could be achieved only with the cooperation of the
"Only then will the dreams of my father (late Prime
Minister Rajiv Gandhi) towards the all round development of
villages, that we are trying to work on, will be realised,"
Rahul and Priyanka, who arrived this morning, also visited
Rajiv Gandhi Mahila Vikas Pariyojna headquarters in Jias here
and reviewed the work undertaken by women self help groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter