Behmai massacre: Court frames charges against 4 ac
Kanpur (UP): A local court has framed charges against four accused in the 1981 Behmai massacre in which 20 people were killed by the erstwhile gang of bandit queen-turned-politician Phoolan Devi.
The court yesterday framed the charges against Bhikha, Posha, Vishwanath and Ram Singh for killing 20 people of Behmai village.
Phoolan Devi and her gang had stormed Behmai in Kanpur Dehat district on the night of January 30, 1981, killing 20 Thakurs of the village after rounding them up at gunpoint.
35 people, including Phoolan Devi, were named as accused in the case.
On July 25, 2001, Phoolan Devi was shot dead by three assailants outside her MP quarter in New Delhi.
Now only seven accused are alive, of which three are absconding. Eight dacoits have been killed by police in separate encounters.
The court yesterday chargesheeted the four accused for dacoity and murder, while issued non bailable warrant against the three absconding accused.
The next hearing will take place on September 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack