Behmai massacre: Court frames charges against 4 ac
Kanpur (UP): A local court has framed charges against four accused in the 1981 Behmai massacre in which 20 people were killed by the erstwhile gang of bandit queen-turned-politician Phoolan Devi.
The court yesterday framed the charges against Bhikha, Posha, Vishwanath and Ram Singh for killing 20 people of Behmai village.
Phoolan Devi and her gang had stormed Behmai in Kanpur Dehat district on the night of January 30, 1981, killing 20 Thakurs of the village after rounding them up at gunpoint.
35 people, including Phoolan Devi, were named as accused in the case.
On July 25, 2001, Phoolan Devi was shot dead by three assailants outside her MP quarter in New Delhi.
Now only seven accused are alive, of which three are absconding. Eight dacoits have been killed by police in separate encounters.
The court yesterday chargesheeted the four accused for dacoity and murder, while issued non bailable warrant against the three absconding accused.
The next hearing will take place on September 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest