Behmai massacre: Court frames charges against 4 ac
Kanpur (UP): A local court has framed charges against four accused in the 1981 Behmai massacre in which 20 people were killed by the erstwhile gang of bandit queen-turned-politician Phoolan Devi.
The court yesterday framed the charges against Bhikha, Posha, Vishwanath and Ram Singh for killing 20 people of Behmai village.
Phoolan Devi and her gang had stormed Behmai in Kanpur Dehat district on the night of January 30, 1981, killing 20 Thakurs of the village after rounding them up at gunpoint.
35 people, including Phoolan Devi, were named as accused in the case.
On July 25, 2001, Phoolan Devi was shot dead by three assailants outside her MP quarter in New Delhi.
Now only seven accused are alive, of which three are absconding. Eight dacoits have been killed by police in separate encounters.
The court yesterday chargesheeted the four accused for dacoity and murder, while issued non bailable warrant against the three absconding accused.
The next hearing will take place on September 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living