Behmai massacre: Court frames charges against 4 ac
Kanpur (UP): A local court has framed charges against four accused in the 1981 Behmai massacre in which 20 people were killed by the erstwhile gang of bandit queen-turned-politician Phoolan Devi.
The court yesterday framed the charges against Bhikha, Posha, Vishwanath and Ram Singh for killing 20 people of Behmai village.
Phoolan Devi and her gang had stormed Behmai in Kanpur Dehat district on the night of January 30, 1981, killing 20 Thakurs of the village after rounding them up at gunpoint.
35 people, including Phoolan Devi, were named as accused in the case.
On July 25, 2001, Phoolan Devi was shot dead by three assailants outside her MP quarter in New Delhi.
Now only seven accused are alive, of which three are absconding. Eight dacoits have been killed by police in separate encounters.
The court yesterday chargesheeted the four accused for dacoity and murder, while issued non bailable warrant against the three absconding accused.
The next hearing will take place on September 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet