Bhatta Parsaul: Rape case against cops?
New Delhi: The National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) has sought registration of FIRs against policemen accused of raping seven women in Bhatta
Parsaul village in Greater Noida during an agitation against land acquisition by farmers.
Commission chairman PL Punia said that on the basis of affidavits given by the seven alleged rape victims of Bhatta Parsaul, Commission`s member Latha Priyakumar has written to Noida SSP for registration of rape cases against the accused cops.
Following clashes between protesters and police in the village and neighbouring areas in May, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had visited the affected farmers and alleged that burnt bodies were found and women were raped, which raised a political storm with UP government denying the charges.
Women and Child Welfare Minister Krishna Tirath in a written reply in Rajya Sabha on August 12 had said that there was no confirmation of any rape in Greater Noida villages in Uttar Pradesh.
The minister said in her written reply that "an inquiry committee constituted by the National Commission for Women visited the Bhatta Parsaul villages in Uttar Pradesh on 12-05-2011. No specific case of rape has been confirmed by the Inquiry Committee”.
Punia said the seven victims of the village had personally appeared before the Commission member Latha Priyakumar last week and testified that they were raped by the Noida policemen. Besides registration of rape case, the Commission member hearing the case has also sought re-investigation into the charges made by the seven alleged victims.
"The Commission has written to the SSP for re-investigation of the case, which should be done by a woman police officer," Punia said.
The case will now come up for further hearing before the SC Commission in the first week of September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics