BHU sets up enquiry committee in ragging case
Varanasi: The Banaras Hindu University (BHU) has constituted a high-level enquiry committee in the alleged assault and ragging of a physically-challenged boy on the
campus, a day after four students were suspended and asked to vacate the hostel in this connection.
The committee has been set up by chancellor Prof DP Singh and will be headed by Director Institute of Medical Science (IMS) TM Mahapatra, BHU Press, Publication and
Publicity (PPP) cell chairman Prof Rajesh Singh said today.
Upadhyay last year and also find out the reasons for delayed action in the case.
The committee, which has been asked to give its report within a week, will also give suggestions to avoid such incidents in future, he said.
Upadhayay, a resident of Bihar, was allegedly ragged by six students on October 13, 2009. He was also assaulted and an MMS was also prepared by his seniors. There were also reports that a fight had broken out between Upadhayay and others over non-vegetarian food being served in the hostel mess.
While Mohit Shukla, Girijesh Tiwari (both students of BCom final year), Anuj Lal (student of LLB first year) and Ashish Gautam (MBA), were arrested on Thursday on a complaint filed by Upadhayay, two others Rajat Anand and Ragav Alok have completed their course and left the university campus. Efforts are on to nab the two.
Meanwhile, taking the moral responsibility for the incident, Dean of Commerce department Prof Vishambhar Jha has resigned from his post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark