BHU VC`s order cancelling entrance tests quashed
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday
quashed an order of the vice-chancellor of Benaras Hindu
University whereby entrance examinations for postgraduate
medical courses had been cancelled after declaration of
results upon detection of mistakes in evaluation.
The judgement was passed by Justice Dilip Gupta while
allowing the writ petition of Anurag Tiwari and 35 other
students of the Institute of Medical Sciences at BHU, who had
appeared in the entrance exams held on February 10.
Passing the order, the court directed the university
authorities to make admissions to MD/MS courses on the basis
of results declared on April 1.
As per facts of the case, 50 students of the Institute
of Medical Sciences had appeared in the entrance tests for 43
"institutional" seats reserved for students from within the
Results were declared on February 19 though the answer
scripts, which happened to be OMR sheets, were not scanned for
want of equipment and were manually examined.
Three candidates filed an RTI application demanding
that they be allowed to see their answer scripts.
The RTI application was not entertained, though the
OMR sheets were re-examined by a committee constituted by the
VC, which led to discovery a number of mistakes.
Re-checking through an electronic scanner was also
done and a revised merit list, with changes in marks of 7 out
of the 50 candidates, was put on the notice board.
Subsequently, a representation was made by 10
candidates who complained against the re-examination and
demanded that counselling be held on the basis of the result
declared on February 19 and not the revised one.
The VC constituted another committee to look into the
complaints and passed an order on April 6 for cancellation of
the exam and holding of tests afresh.
The court, however, struck down the VC`s order,
observing that it was passed "without application of mind" and
that it would have amounted to "penalising the candidates for
no fault of theirs".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested