Bhushans file reply in stamp duty case; next hearing on May 30
Allahabad: The office of Stamp and Registration
Department here, which had issued a notice for alleged stamp
duty evasion to co-chair of the Lokpal Bill Drafting Committee
Shanti Bhushan and his three children, on Thursday fixed May 30 for
further hearing in the matter following a reply filed on
behalf of the renowned lawyer.
Bhushan, his two sons Jayant and Prashant and daughter
Shefali were issued a notice in February this year for alleged
stamp duty evasion to the tune of Rs 1.3 crore in course of
purchase of a property worth nearly Rs 20 crores situated in a
posh locality of the city.
Emerging from the department office on the last date for
replying to the notice, the Bhushans` lawyer Sangam Agarwal
told reporters, "It has been stated that the Rs 2,000 paid
towards stamp duty was perfectly in order".
He, however, declined to divulge further details.
Later, Stamp Commissioner KP Pandey told reporters that he
will conduct a "spot inspection" of the property, spread over
7,818 acres in the posh Civil Lines locality, on May 20 and
the matter will subsequently be taken up for further hearing
on May 30.
Bhushan, a renowned lawyer and a former Union Minister,
used to reside as a tenant in the bungalow situated on the
land before moving to New Delhi in the 1970s.
The Bhushans, however, did not forgo the possession of the
bungalow which involved them in a litigation with its owners
-- Harimohan Das Tandon, Sudhir Tandon and Satish Tandon.
Later, the litigation was withdrawn in the wake of the
`agreement to sell` between the two sides whereby a portion of
the property was purchased for Rs one lakh and for which stamp
duty of Rs 2,000 was paid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured