Big B`s bro woos voters for Cong-backed candidate
Allahabad: Ajitabh Bachchan, younger brother of Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan, wooed voters for Congress-backed candidate for the post of Allahabad Mayor, Shree Wadhavan.
67-year-old Ajitabh, who arrived in his hometown yesterday, addressed a string of public meetings to solicit support for Wadhawan.
Wadhawan is in fray for the Allahabad Mayor seat, reserved for women, for the June 27 civic polls.
Parrying questions pertaining to politics, including ties between the Big B and Nehru-Gandhi family, Ajitabh told reporters his decision to campaign was a "personal one".
"This followed an invitation from my old friend and Shree`s husband Ravi Bhushan Wadhawan," he said.
"Whatever may be the occasion, a visit to this city is like homecoming for me.
"The last time I had visited the city was during the tragic death of our mother. I had come here with Amitabh, Jaya and Abhishek in 2007," he said.
Ravi Bhushan Wadhawan, a city-based businessman, was the Mayor of Allahabad in 1990s.
The Congress had initially fielded Satya Pande, a close aide of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi, as its Mayoral candidate.
Pande`s candidature was withdrawn and the party`s support to Shree was announced after Wadhawan reportedly decided to field his wife as an Independent.
Though top Congress leaders have so far stayed away from the campaign, the party has been trying to attract crowds through a liberal dose of star power.
Last week saw party MP Raj Babbar canvassing for the Congress-supported Mayoral candidate.
Actor Shakti Kapoor is also in the town to campaign for the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj