Bill Clinton interacts with students in UP village
Lucknow: Former US president Bill Clinton on Thursday interacted with students and assessed the working of self-help groups in Jabrauli village here.
"During his visit, the former US president participated in a programme organised at a school in Jabrauli village," a district administration official said.
Bill Clinton spent around two hours in the village.
The programme was organised under Clinton Health Access Initiative, a health scheme of the Clinton Foundation.
At the programme, he interacted with students and assessed the working of self-help groups.
Bill Clinton said India and the entire South Asia was doing incredible in the self-help group sector.
The former president said the foundation was trying to ensure that people get what they need.
Elaborate security arrangements were made in view of the visit. Besides senior police officials, a large number of police and PAC personnel were present at the site of the programme.
Earlier, Clinton was welcomed by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at the airport.
Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) was started in the field of essential medicines in India in late 2012.
The primary goal of the initiative is to reduce the number of children dying from diarrhoea by increasing access to treatment.
Under CHAI, works are done with the government and local partners to increase access to the WHO-recommended treatment for diarrhoea.
The initiative is being implemented in three states -- Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
According to CHAI, diarrhoea is one of the leading killers of children under five years of age in India, taking lives of over 2.12 lakh of them each year. Of this, 60,000 are in UP.
The programme is being implemented in 50 districts of MP, 16 in Gujarat and 38 in UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir