Bill Clinton to visit UP village on Thursday
Lucknow: Former US president Bill Clinton will arrive here on Thursday to take part in a "social activity" in a village, officials said Tuesday.
Clinton will drive straight to Jabrauli village in the Mohanlalganj area of the state capital after landing at Amausi`s Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport.
Confirming Clinton`s trip, Superintendent of Police (rural) Saumitra Yadav told IANS adequate security drills were being done.
Chief Development Officer Yogesh Kumar, following confirmation from the Clinton Foundation, is supervising preparations in the village where the former US president will stay for about four hours.
The programme is part of a series by the Clinton Health Access Initiative, in which it provides for healthcare training and treatment of diarrhoea involving self-help groups and school children.
While efforts are on by mandarins in the state government to fix a meeting between Clinton and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, confirmation is yet to come from Clinton`s office, informed sources told IANS.
Clinton visited Lucknow September 7, 2005, when Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was the chief minister.
At the bidding of the then Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh, Clinton attended a banquet hosted in his honour at 5, Kalidas Marg, the official residence of the chief minister. The sprawling bungalow got a major facelift with crores spent for the high-profile visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday