BJP alleges discrepancies in local body polls
Lucknow: BJP on Thursday alleged massive
discrepancies in the Uttar Pradesh local body elections and
submitted a memorandum to Governor B L Joshi, demanding a
judicial probe into the matter.
Led by state BJP chief Surya Pratap Shahi, the party
activists held a sit-in protest at Shaheed Smarak and alleged
Mayawati government of lodging fake cases against its workers
to win local body elections.
"We have demanded from the Governor to institute
judicial inquiry to bring culprits of creating discrepancies
and intimidating workers to book," Shahi said.
He alleged the state election commission is a puppet in
the hands of the BSP government and failed in its duty to hold
free and fair elections.
The BJP workers also claimed that in Visheshawrganj block
of Bahraich district, the party candidate was defeated due to
Local MP Lalji Tondon and other senior leaders also
addressed the sit-in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India