BJP blames Cong for Muslim quota row
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh BJP president Surya Pratap Shahi on Saturday blamed Congress high command for the ongoing controversy over Congress ministers` remarks on Muslim quota, saying "inaction" on behalf of the party gave a free hand to them to defy the constitutional body.
"Despite using language which is unbecoming of a union minister, that too the law minister of the country, no action was taken against Salman Khurshid, indicating that he was acting as per the directives of the high command," Shahi said.
"Had the Prime Minister taken a tough stand and dismissed Khurshid from the ministry, it would have set a trend and steel minister Beni Prasad Verma would not have dared to utter a word showing defiance to the constitutional body," he said.
The BJP leader claimed it was a "planned conspiracy of the Congress to divert people’s attention from more pressing issues like corruption in the elections".
He alleged Congress is trying to shift focus from its failures by promising religion-based quota which in "against the Constitution".
On induction of Babu Singh Kushwaha in BJP, Shahi said it was part of the party`s strategy but BJP never defended him on corruption charges and he can be punished if proved guilty.
"His induction was part of strategy to break Mayawati`s
fortress of corruption and barring L K Advani, Sushma Sawaraj
and M M Joshi others were aware of the move," Shahi, who is
believed to be behind the move to bring Kushwaha, said.
Ruling out any post-poll alliance, he said, "At the moment we are just eyeing `machli ki aankh (victory)` and concentrating on winning maximum seats to form government on our own."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?