BJP blames Cong for Muslim quota row
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh BJP president Surya Pratap Shahi on Saturday blamed Congress high command for the ongoing controversy over Congress ministers` remarks on Muslim quota, saying "inaction" on behalf of the party gave a free hand to them to defy the constitutional body.
"Despite using language which is unbecoming of a union minister, that too the law minister of the country, no action was taken against Salman Khurshid, indicating that he was acting as per the directives of the high command," Shahi said.
"Had the Prime Minister taken a tough stand and dismissed Khurshid from the ministry, it would have set a trend and steel minister Beni Prasad Verma would not have dared to utter a word showing defiance to the constitutional body," he said.
The BJP leader claimed it was a "planned conspiracy of the Congress to divert people’s attention from more pressing issues like corruption in the elections".
He alleged Congress is trying to shift focus from its failures by promising religion-based quota which in "against the Constitution".
On induction of Babu Singh Kushwaha in BJP, Shahi said it was part of the party`s strategy but BJP never defended him on corruption charges and he can be punished if proved guilty.
"His induction was part of strategy to break Mayawati`s
fortress of corruption and barring L K Advani, Sushma Sawaraj
and M M Joshi others were aware of the move," Shahi, who is
believed to be behind the move to bring Kushwaha, said.
Ruling out any post-poll alliance, he said, "At the moment we are just eyeing `machli ki aankh (victory)` and concentrating on winning maximum seats to form government on our own."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27