BJP calls off anti-corruption agitation against Centre, UP govt
Deoria: The ongoing `jail bharo` agitation of BJP against the central and state governments has been suspended with immediate effect following massive destruction in Uttarakhand.
"The agitation which began on June 17 and was to continue till June 30 has been suspended with immediate effect following the natural calamity in Uttarakhand," former state unit president of BJP, Surya Pratap Shahi said.
The BJP leader said that instead of carrying on with the anti-corruption protest, party workers from all over the state would collect goods required for relief and rescue of the affected people and organise special prayer meetings every day for those who lost their lives in the Himalayan tragedy.
Alleging lack of sensitivity in the ongoing relief and rescue operations by the Congress-led central and state governments, Shahi said that bodies of the victims have been found flowing in the rivers in Haridwar and Hastinapur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video