BJP calls off anti-corruption agitation against Centre, UP govt
Deoria: The ongoing `jail bharo` agitation of BJP against the central and state governments has been suspended with immediate effect following massive destruction in Uttarakhand.
"The agitation which began on June 17 and was to continue till June 30 has been suspended with immediate effect following the natural calamity in Uttarakhand," former state unit president of BJP, Surya Pratap Shahi said.
The BJP leader said that instead of carrying on with the anti-corruption protest, party workers from all over the state would collect goods required for relief and rescue of the affected people and organise special prayer meetings every day for those who lost their lives in the Himalayan tragedy.
Alleging lack of sensitivity in the ongoing relief and rescue operations by the Congress-led central and state governments, Shahi said that bodies of the victims have been found flowing in the rivers in Haridwar and Hastinapur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?