BJP calls off anti-corruption agitation against Centre, UP govt
Deoria: The ongoing `jail bharo` agitation of BJP against the central and state governments has been suspended with immediate effect following massive destruction in Uttarakhand.
"The agitation which began on June 17 and was to continue till June 30 has been suspended with immediate effect following the natural calamity in Uttarakhand," former state unit president of BJP, Surya Pratap Shahi said.
The BJP leader said that instead of carrying on with the anti-corruption protest, party workers from all over the state would collect goods required for relief and rescue of the affected people and organise special prayer meetings every day for those who lost their lives in the Himalayan tragedy.
Alleging lack of sensitivity in the ongoing relief and rescue operations by the Congress-led central and state governments, Shahi said that bodies of the victims have been found flowing in the rivers in Haridwar and Hastinapur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire