BJP calls off anti-corruption agitation against Centre, UP govt
Deoria: The ongoing `jail bharo` agitation of BJP against the central and state governments has been suspended with immediate effect following massive destruction in Uttarakhand.
"The agitation which began on June 17 and was to continue till June 30 has been suspended with immediate effect following the natural calamity in Uttarakhand," former state unit president of BJP, Surya Pratap Shahi said.
The BJP leader said that instead of carrying on with the anti-corruption protest, party workers from all over the state would collect goods required for relief and rescue of the affected people and organise special prayer meetings every day for those who lost their lives in the Himalayan tragedy.
Alleging lack of sensitivity in the ongoing relief and rescue operations by the Congress-led central and state governments, Shahi said that bodies of the victims have been found flowing in the rivers in Haridwar and Hastinapur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL