BJP calls shutdown in Greater Noida, other areas
Greater Noida: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday called for a shutdown in Uttar Pradesh`s Gautam Budh Nagar district to protest police action on farmers.
BJP`s district unit has decided to take out a protest march during which party workers will ask businesses and other commercial establishments to shut their shops, said a party spokesperson.
"We have termed it the Gautam Budh Nagar Bandh," the spokesperson said.
Police and agitating farmers in Greater Noida, which falls in Gautam Budh Nagar, fought a pitched battle on Saturday in which four people, including two policemen, were killed. The farmers are agitating for higher compensation for land taken for constructing the 156-km Yamuna Expressway that is to link New Delhi with Agra and reduce travel time by an hour.
On Friday, angry farmers in Bhatta Parsaul village had held captive employees of the Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. When security personnel arrived to free the officials held hostage, the farmers clashed with them, resulting in the deaths Saturday. Fifteen people were also critically injured in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured