BJP calls shutdown in Greater Noida, other areas
Greater Noida: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday called for a shutdown in Uttar Pradesh`s Gautam Budh Nagar district to protest police action on farmers.
BJP`s district unit has decided to take out a protest march during which party workers will ask businesses and other commercial establishments to shut their shops, said a party spokesperson.
"We have termed it the Gautam Budh Nagar Bandh," the spokesperson said.
Police and agitating farmers in Greater Noida, which falls in Gautam Budh Nagar, fought a pitched battle on Saturday in which four people, including two policemen, were killed. The farmers are agitating for higher compensation for land taken for constructing the 156-km Yamuna Expressway that is to link New Delhi with Agra and reduce travel time by an hour.
On Friday, angry farmers in Bhatta Parsaul village had held captive employees of the Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. When security personnel arrived to free the officials held hostage, the farmers clashed with them, resulting in the deaths Saturday. Fifteen people were also critically injured in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?