BJP candidate against Dimple fails to file nomination papers
Kannauj : The BJP which had decided against contesting the Kannauj Lok Sabha by-election made a u-turn at the eleventh hour to enter the fray but its candidate Jagdev Yadav failed to file his nomination papers, the deadline for which ended on Wednesday.
Yadav, who was declared the party candidate by the central leadership at the last minute could not reach the returning officer`s office to file the papers which closed at the 3 PM deadline.
The BJP state election committee headed by state president Lakshmikant Bajpai and senior leaders like Lalji Tandon and Kalraj Mishra had on Tuesday decided not to field a candidate from Kannauj against SP candidate Dimple Yadav, wife of UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, citing local bodies polls as its priority.
Besides the SP candidate Dimple, only one candidate Dashrath Singh is in fray from Sanyukt Samajwadi Party. The withdrawal of candidature could be made by June 8.
Dimple is set to win the seat as Congress and BSP have also not put up candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal