BJP criticises minister over blame for Muzaffarnagar riots
Lucknow: The BJP on Monday criticised a Uttar Pradesh minister for alleging that their party was behind the communal riots in Muzaffarnagar that left 48 people dead.
State Public Works Department (PWD) minister Shivpal Singh Yadav made the statement at a press conference Sunday evening.
State Bharatiya Janata Party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak accused the minister, who is also the younger brother of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, of trying to indict the BJP without any basis or proof.
"This is being done yet again with an eye on minority votes," Pathak told a news agency on Monday.
"The state government has already appointed a judicial commission to probe the riots. Why is then Yadav giving such statements?" Pathak asked.
The BJP leader said that if Shivpal Yadav knew so much about the role of the BJP, he should come out with facts and evidence rather than hurl unsubstantiated charges.
"Unfortunately, the SP leaders are yet to realise that the tragic riots of Muzaffarnagar that killed so many people and displaced thousands was largely a mess created by them," Pathak said.
The BJP has accused the state government of administrative failure.
As many as 48 people were killed in the riots in the western town of Muzaffarnagar that began Sep 7. More than 43,000 people have been displaced and are currently taking shelter in 38 relief camps.
Four BJP legislators, including Kairana legislator and leader of the BJP legislature party in the state assembly Hukum Singh, have been booked under various charges.
The Samajwadi Party leadership has accused the BJP of stoking communal passions in the area. BJP has denied any role in the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!