BJP criticises minister over blame for Muzaffarnagar riots
Lucknow: The BJP on Monday criticised a Uttar Pradesh minister for alleging that their party was behind the communal riots in Muzaffarnagar that left 48 people dead.
State Public Works Department (PWD) minister Shivpal Singh Yadav made the statement at a press conference Sunday evening.
State Bharatiya Janata Party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak accused the minister, who is also the younger brother of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, of trying to indict the BJP without any basis or proof.
"This is being done yet again with an eye on minority votes," Pathak told a news agency on Monday.
"The state government has already appointed a judicial commission to probe the riots. Why is then Yadav giving such statements?" Pathak asked.
The BJP leader said that if Shivpal Yadav knew so much about the role of the BJP, he should come out with facts and evidence rather than hurl unsubstantiated charges.
"Unfortunately, the SP leaders are yet to realise that the tragic riots of Muzaffarnagar that killed so many people and displaced thousands was largely a mess created by them," Pathak said.
The BJP has accused the state government of administrative failure.
As many as 48 people were killed in the riots in the western town of Muzaffarnagar that began Sep 7. More than 43,000 people have been displaced and are currently taking shelter in 38 relief camps.
Four BJP legislators, including Kairana legislator and leader of the BJP legislature party in the state assembly Hukum Singh, have been booked under various charges.
The Samajwadi Party leadership has accused the BJP of stoking communal passions in the area. BJP has denied any role in the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof