BJP demand judicial probe into Shamli gang-rape
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh unit of BJP on Thursday demanded a judicial probe into the alleged gang-rape of a girl in Shamli district and the cane-charge by police on people staging a protest demanding the arrest of the accused.
District administration and police are trying to hush up the matter, therefore a judicial inquiry was required in the matter, Leader of BJP Legislative Party Hukum Singh told reporters here.
A BJP delegation led by Singh met the state Governor and handed over a memorandum in this regard.
Two youths brought a girl from Uttarakhand to Shamli, where seven persons allegedly gang-raped her, Singh said.
Two youths were arrested from the spot while others managed to escape, he said.
As police failed to arrested the others involved in the crime, BJP staged a protest in the district, Singh said.
The BJP leader alleged that police reached the protest site and resorted to lathi-charge, in which around 50 persons were injured.
Singh said that after the cane-charge he along with party MLA Suresh Rana were brought to the police station and accused the police of acting in an "undignified manner".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway