BJP demands CBI probe into murder of party member
Lakhimpur: Uttar Pradesh BJP on Saturday demanded a CBI probe into the murder of its former district vice-president Harish Gupta, who was found dead under mysterious circumstances on September 20.
Police`s theory of Gupta plotting his own murder by paying just Rs 10,000 to the killers was hard to believe, said Ram Kumar Verma, former UP minister and senior party leader.
BJP leaders have sent a memorandum in this regard to the authorities demanding a CBI inquiry into the case, he said.
Several BJP leaders today met Superintendent of Police Dalbir Singh and apprised him of their apprehensions about the police`s investigation.
Speaking to reporters here, Verma also accused the district police of hushing up the matter and termed their investigation as "bogus".
Former BJP district vice president Harish Gupta was found murdered on September 20 near Dallapur village in Kotwali area.
Police arrested one Shatrohan Lal on September 28 and said he along with an accomplice, Ramasarey, had killed Gupta.
Police said that Gupta plotted his own murder along with his friend Shatrohan.
Gupta, a businessman, was unable to pay his debts worth Rs 4,50,000 to banks and individuals and therefore was forced to plot his own murder, according to police confession made by Shatrohan.
Gupta even paid Rs 10,000 to his killer to carry out his own murder, which would have not only eased the debts but ensured insurance claims of around Rs 77 lakh to his family, according to the confession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire