BJP demands CBI probe into murder of party member
Lakhimpur: Uttar Pradesh BJP on Saturday demanded a CBI probe into the murder of its former district vice-president Harish Gupta, who was found dead under mysterious circumstances on September 20.
Police`s theory of Gupta plotting his own murder by paying just Rs 10,000 to the killers was hard to believe, said Ram Kumar Verma, former UP minister and senior party leader.
BJP leaders have sent a memorandum in this regard to the authorities demanding a CBI inquiry into the case, he said.
Several BJP leaders today met Superintendent of Police Dalbir Singh and apprised him of their apprehensions about the police`s investigation.
Speaking to reporters here, Verma also accused the district police of hushing up the matter and termed their investigation as "bogus".
Former BJP district vice president Harish Gupta was found murdered on September 20 near Dallapur village in Kotwali area.
Police arrested one Shatrohan Lal on September 28 and said he along with an accomplice, Ramasarey, had killed Gupta.
Police said that Gupta plotted his own murder along with his friend Shatrohan.
Gupta, a businessman, was unable to pay his debts worth Rs 4,50,000 to banks and individuals and therefore was forced to plot his own murder, according to police confession made by Shatrohan.
Gupta even paid Rs 10,000 to his killer to carry out his own murder, which would have not only eased the debts but ensured insurance claims of around Rs 77 lakh to his family, according to the confession.
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow