BJP demands revocation of Durga Shakti Nagpal’s suspension
New Delhi: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Saturday demanded immediate revocation of the suspension of IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal, claiming the action against her has "hurt" the morale of honest officials.
He also demanded action against those who had approached Uttar Pradesh government for her suspension.
"People with vested interests got the officer suspended. The action by Uttar Pradesh government has hurt the morale of honest officials.
"I expect Uttar Pradesh government to revoke its order. Those who got her suspended should not be spared," Singh said.
He was addressing a gathering comprising largely of women at a cultural programme organised at his residence here.
Later, when reporters sought his reaction to Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on ensuring fair treatment for Nagpal, Singh said the Prime Minister should have acted without waiting for the letter.
A 2010 batch IAS officer, 28-year-old Nagpal had craked down against sand mining mafia.
She was suspended on July 27 as Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Gautam Budh Nagar district for allegedly ordering demolition of a wall of a mosque on the ground that it could have triggered communal tension.
Addressing the gathering, Singh said rising prices of essential commodities have "hurt the women the most as they find it difficult to manage their kitchens."
He said during NDA rule, prices were kept under check for six years.
Referring to incidents of rape and attack on women, the BJP leader said while stringent laws were necessary, government should ensure that respect for women is made part of the education system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India