BJP demands revocation of Durga Shakti Nagpal’s suspension
New Delhi: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Saturday demanded immediate revocation of the suspension of IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal, claiming the action against her has "hurt" the morale of honest officials.
He also demanded action against those who had approached Uttar Pradesh government for her suspension.
"People with vested interests got the officer suspended. The action by Uttar Pradesh government has hurt the morale of honest officials.
"I expect Uttar Pradesh government to revoke its order. Those who got her suspended should not be spared," Singh said.
He was addressing a gathering comprising largely of women at a cultural programme organised at his residence here.
Later, when reporters sought his reaction to Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on ensuring fair treatment for Nagpal, Singh said the Prime Minister should have acted without waiting for the letter.
A 2010 batch IAS officer, 28-year-old Nagpal had craked down against sand mining mafia.
She was suspended on July 27 as Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Gautam Budh Nagar district for allegedly ordering demolition of a wall of a mosque on the ground that it could have triggered communal tension.
Addressing the gathering, Singh said rising prices of essential commodities have "hurt the women the most as they find it difficult to manage their kitchens."
He said during NDA rule, prices were kept under check for six years.
Referring to incidents of rape and attack on women, the BJP leader said while stringent laws were necessary, government should ensure that respect for women is made part of the education system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!