BJP does not recognise Mahatma as Father of Nation: Reddy
Lucknow: Union Minister S Jaipal Reddy on Monday
accused the BJP of not accepting Mahatma Gandhi as the father
of the nation and said the party leaders should clarify the
"Even today BJP does not accept Mahatma Gandhi as the
father of the nation. Senior BJP leaders should clarify that
whether the party considers Mahatma as the father of the
nation or not," Reddy said.
The Petroleum Minister was addressing a seminar --
`Challenges of communal and caste based politics -- on the
occasion of 92nd birth anniversary of former Uttar Pradesh
Chief Minister Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna.
Mahatma Gandhi is recognised all over the world -- like
in India -- as the greatest moral and political genius, he
"He (Gandhi) was the supreme leader of the freedom
struggle and we all regard him as the father of the nation,
the title given by none other than Netaji Subhash Chandra
Bose," he said.
Reddy alleged that the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS)
pleaded for a Hindu state even during the freedom struggle.
"In a book written in 1939, (M S) Golvarkar wrote that in
India only Hindus should have civil rights and non-Hindus
should not have equal rights," he said.
The union minister alleged that the ideology of the RSS
supported the politics of Jinnah and they complimented each
other, whereas Gandhi and Nehru wanted to carry both the
sections on a common platform of Congress.
"With full moral and intellectual authority I would like
to say that for many decades BJP and RSS did not accepted Jana
Gana Mana, composed by great poet Rabindranath Tagore as the
national anthem, contending that it was not written for
India," he said.
It was tragic that such a force (BJP) came to power in
Uttar Pradesh and Delhi, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- India bowled with a lot of discipline, says Kraigg Brathwaite
- Time's up for VHS! Last company making VCRs to stop its production this month
- RIP Tiger: Retired police dog who helped in detecting bombs during 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks passes away
- Four including child dead after shooting in Texas apartment complex
- GST listing in Rajya Sabha likely this week, Arun Jaitley to meet state FMs