BJP MLA booked for violence during protest in UP
Muzaffarnagar: A BJP MLA has been booked along with 250 activists in connection with violence during a protest over gang-rape in Shamli district for violation of prohibitory orders, police said on Wednesday.
The activists led by BJP MLA Hukum Singh had held protest on Monday demanding arrest of persons who allegedly abducted and raped a 21-year-old girl on June 16.
During the protest, 12 persons were injured and vehicles and shops were damaged, after which police had on Tuesday imposed prohibitory orders in Shamli district.
Three more cases were also registered in connection with the violence, police said.
Meanwhile, the MLA has demanded judicial inquiry into the incident.
"A judicial inquiry by sitting judge of High Court should be conducted into the gang-rape," Singh told reporters.
He alleged that police lathi charged activists who were protesting peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!