BJP MLA gets threatening letter, security tightened
Bahraich (UP): The security of local BJP MLA
Sureshwar Singh has been stepped up after he received a letter
on Thursday threatening that he will be killed.
"It is a serious matter. The legislator`s security has
been tightened," Superintendent of Police Lalji Shukla said.
The MLA, considered to be a hardline Hindutva leader,
said he received the letter this afternoon through speed post.
"The letter, using a mix of Hindi and English, has
accused me of burning Muslim houses," Singh said.
The MLA said he has apprised the Assembly Speaker Sukhdev
Rajbhar and requested him to ensure that his security be
In 2008, some people said to be supporters of the MLA, had
torched over a dozen Muslim houses in a village in
Khairighat police station area and Singh was arrested for
inciting the locals.
The MLA said a mob had indulged in arson at local house
here on February 7 and a similar incident had taken place in
Lucknow last year while five contract killers were arrested
along with weapons in 1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites