BJP MLA Hukum Singh files nomination from Kairana LS seat
Muzaffarnagar: BJP leader Hukum Singh has filed his nomination papers from Kairana Lok Sabha seat.
Singh, after filing his nomination papers, told reporters that his main poll issue will be development.
The BJP MLA had earlier stirred controversy by saying that he would oppose riot refugees from voting in his constituency Kairana as they were living "illegally" on government land.
Singh was among the 16 politicians and community leaders who were accused of inciting violence through inflammatory speeches in Muzaffarnagar and had been briefly under arrest.
More than 60 persons were killed and over 40,000 displaced in riots that had taken place in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in September last year.
The elections in UP are scheduled to be held in six phases. The Kairana Lok Sabha constituency goes to poll on April 10.
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set