BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj declared absconder in Babri case
Lucknow: BJP MP from Uttar Pradesh`s Unnao constituency Sakshi Maharaj has been declared an absconder by a special CBI court after he failed to appear for a trial.
The move came in the wake of Sakshi Maharaj`s continued absence for the trial he is facing in the Babri Mosque demolition case.
The court fixed July 26 for next hearing.
Sakshi Maharaj`s lawyers told the court on Monday that he will be present in the court Saturday as he was busy with Parliament`s Budget session in New Delhi.
"We have spoken to our client on phone and he has assured that he will appear in the court Saturday," his counsel told Special Judge Shashi Mauli Tiwari, who refused to pay heed to the explanation.
The court earlier issued an arrest warrant against Sakshi Maharaj, considered close to former chief minister Kalyan Singh.
Sakshi Maharaj`s name with other senior BJP leaders figured in a First Information Report (FIR) filed in Ayodhya Dec 2, 1992. While 49 people were named as accused for the demolition of the mosque, 13 were acquitted of the charges at primary level.
The CBI has challenged their acquittal in the Supreme Court and the case is pending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'