BJP, Mulayam Singh spreading violence in Uttar Pradesh: Beni
New Delhi: Continuing his attack on Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav, Steel Minister and senior Congress leader Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday accused him of being in league with the BJP in "spreading" violence in Uttar Pradesh.
"In league with the BJP, Mulayam Singh is spreading violence in Uttar Pradesh. The Union Government should take some tough actions, the Samajwadi Party government is looting Uttar Pradesh," he told reporters here.
When asked whether Centre should be imposing President`s rule in UP, Verma said: "It would have been done, had it been in my hands".
He further said that "there is no place for people like Mulayam and (Narendra) Modi to run governments. They should be put in jail."
A few days ago, Verma had claimed that there was a threat to his life for continuously speaking against Mulayam.
Talking about the withdrawal of the controversial ordinance on convicted lawmakers, Verma praised Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, saying "he showed the way to the government, he opened our eyes".
At the same time, he also took a dig at the BJP on its stand against the ordinance.
"There is a minister in the Gujarat government, who has got 3 years punishment. Rahuljee is trying to create a politics free of crimes, while (Narendra) Modi is keeping criminals in his Cabinet," he said.
Yesterday, the Cabinet decided to withdraw the controversial ordinance on convicted lawmakers as well as a related bill after Rahul`s public denunciation of the ordinance as "complete nonsense" that deserved to be "torn and thrown away".
On Rashtriya Janata Dal Supremo Lalu Prasad`s conviction and sentencing in a corruption case, Verma said: "Law is taking its course but personally, I feel sorry for him. We were together in Janata Dal and I know him personally but the rule of law is supreme."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?