BJP riddled with protests over tickets to `outsiders`
Mainpuri: Despite the hype over BJP`s prime ministerial hopeful Narendra Modi`s campaign, the disappointment and heartburn caused by ticket distribution could hurt the party`s poll prospects here, experts have suggested.
Activists and commentators said Tuesday`s protest against the official candidate SS Chauhan from the Mainpuri constituency in Uttar Pradesh occurred because the party workers are agitated against "importing an outsider" for the seat.
Some of them even offered to tender mass resignations from the party. The state leaders and the candidate himself, however, underplayed the protests.
Bharatiya Janta Party workers in Agra and a section of the district leaders are opposed to the official candidate Ram Shankar Katheria.
"The cold indifference of many of these leaders will be felt and seen in the campaign," said a party worker Prem Jain.
Hema Malini`s entry in the poll fray from Mathura has irked the local leaders since a dozen were in line for the ticket.
"Undoubtedly, the mood is in favour of Modi...but questions are being asked why loyal and hard working party members who sacrifice and give so much to the party are generally ignored when it comes to ticket distribution," said Madhu Chaubey, an activist.
Ticket distribution has hit the campaign in several Uttar Pradesh districts of Deoria, Baghpat, Ghaziabad, Fatehpur, Faizabad.
"Local party workers feel humiliated and cheated...One feels resentment towards Modi poll managers," said Sachchendra Kumar Singh of Hathras.
Party workers have protested against Jagdambika Pal`s entry in Ayodhya who till recently was a leader of the Congress party. Party workers also protested the entry of Udit Raj in Delhi and showed black flags to candidate Kirron Kher in Chandigarh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read