BJP slams Akhilesh Yadav for jibe at Hema Malini
Lucknow: The BJP on Monday said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was trivialising communal clashes and conversions in the state. It also objected to Yadav`s jibe at veteran film actress and Mathura MP Hema Malini.
Terming Yadav`s comment on Hema Malini`s role in film "Dharmatma" as "trivial and in bad taste" state, spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said the chief minister should "focus on the dangers of love jihad instead of citing films of the 1970s".
Citing the role essayed by Hema Malini in Firoz Khan-starrer "Dharmatma" where she played a Muslim girl who falls in love with a Hindu boy, Yadav had Sunday said the government cannot play a role in romantic relationships.
"What message is the chief minister trying to convey to the people," Pathak questioned.
"What does Hema Malini`s role in the Bollywood film have to do with the situation in the state," he added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party also accused the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) of showing disrespect to women by trivialising the whole issue of crimes against women.
"Earlier, the SP chief (Mulayam Singh Yadav) said boys will be boys and that they committed mistakes like rape in their young age. Then minister Ambika Chowdhary said that women were accusing men of rape for monetary compensation ... if this is not trivializing, then what is," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says