BJP slams UP govt`s move to allow liquor sale in malls
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has allowed liquor brands to open their outlets in shopping malls, BJP today said, and accused it of continuing with the excise policy of the previous Mayawati regime.
"The government in its excise policy has decided to allow liquor shops to open in malls which BJP strongly opposes," BJP`s state chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak told reporters here.
"Mall is a public place where children, women and families go...If liquor shops are allowed like other showrooms it will lead to anarchy," he alleged.
Pathak said that at most of the liquor shops people buy and consume liquor at the same place.
"When shops will open in the malls, how will the government ensure that this does not happen there as well, particularly when most of the malls have food courts," he said.
The spokesman also raised objection over leakage of the excise policy when the Assembly was in the session.
"When the Assembly is in session, the house is informed first about any policy decision taken by the government. The cabinet approved the excise policy and before informing the house it was leaked to the media," he said.
Pathak alleged that it seemed to be a deliberate move.
The BJP leader also criticised the government for continuing with the policy of the previous BSP regime and alleged that one group would continue to have monopoly.
"When Mayawati government came with the policy, along with other parties even SP had opposed it...But now the SP government has decided to continue with the same policy for reasons best known to it," Pathak said.
The spokesman said that if the government was aiming to increase its revenue it should have gone for the competitive bidding.
"Competitive bidding would have raised revenue...But it seems like the previous regime the SP government has also bowed before a particular group," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo