BJP, SP behind Muzaffarnagar violence: Beni Prasad Verma
Varanasi: Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma has alleged that BJP and Samajwadi Party were behind the Muzaffarnagar violence, in which 47 people lost their lives.
"The state government is calling it communal riots, but this is not the case. It was a trial of polarisation," Verma charged.
People were called from Gujarat and Maharashtra for the violence and policemen were present in plain clothes during the riots, he told reporters here after a meeting.
"The violence occurred with the state government`s help," he said. "According to my knowledge, BJP called people from outside who went on the rampage," he said.
"When polls are near, BJP joins hands with SP," he claimed.
Beni also took a dig at BJP, saying the party had "made a drama of announcing its prime ministerial candidate."
He asserted that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi would be the country`s next Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today