BJP stages sit-ins to protest arrest of its legislators
Lucknow: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Monday staged sit-ins at all district headquarters across Uttar Pradesh to protest the arrest of its MLAs in connection with Muzaffarnagar communal violence.
"Party workers staged dharnas at district headquarters to protest arrest of our MLAs and the partisan attitude of the Akhilesh Yadav government," BJP chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Memorandums, demanding dismissal of the Akhilesh government, addressed to the President were submitted to District Magistrates.
Leading the protest in Lucknow, state BJP chief Laxmi Kant Bajpai said police were arresting BJP MLAs and preventing their leaders from reaching Muzaffarnagar.
But, the accused of the incident of eve-teasing which sparked violence were still at large, he said.
The BJP leader alleged the names of several SP leaders involved in riots were struck out from the FIRs.
He alleged the state government was harassing BJP leaders and workers to appease a particular community.
The party had organised a shutdown in western part of the state yesterday to protest arrest of its MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city