BJP stages sit-ins to protest arrest of its legislators
Lucknow: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Monday staged sit-ins at all district headquarters across Uttar Pradesh to protest the arrest of its MLAs in connection with Muzaffarnagar communal violence.
"Party workers staged dharnas at district headquarters to protest arrest of our MLAs and the partisan attitude of the Akhilesh Yadav government," BJP chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Memorandums, demanding dismissal of the Akhilesh government, addressed to the President were submitted to District Magistrates.
Leading the protest in Lucknow, state BJP chief Laxmi Kant Bajpai said police were arresting BJP MLAs and preventing their leaders from reaching Muzaffarnagar.
But, the accused of the incident of eve-teasing which sparked violence were still at large, he said.
The BJP leader alleged the names of several SP leaders involved in riots were struck out from the FIRs.
He alleged the state government was harassing BJP leaders and workers to appease a particular community.
The party had organised a shutdown in western part of the state yesterday to protest arrest of its MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read