BJP stages sit-ins to protest arrest of its legislators
Lucknow: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Monday staged sit-ins at all district headquarters across Uttar Pradesh to protest the arrest of its MLAs in connection with Muzaffarnagar communal violence.
"Party workers staged dharnas at district headquarters to protest arrest of our MLAs and the partisan attitude of the Akhilesh Yadav government," BJP chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Memorandums, demanding dismissal of the Akhilesh government, addressed to the President were submitted to District Magistrates.
Leading the protest in Lucknow, state BJP chief Laxmi Kant Bajpai said police were arresting BJP MLAs and preventing their leaders from reaching Muzaffarnagar.
But, the accused of the incident of eve-teasing which sparked violence were still at large, he said.
The BJP leader alleged the names of several SP leaders involved in riots were struck out from the FIRs.
He alleged the state government was harassing BJP leaders and workers to appease a particular community.
The party had organised a shutdown in western part of the state yesterday to protest arrest of its MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar