BJP stages sit-ins to protest arrest of its legislators
Lucknow: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Monday staged sit-ins at all district headquarters across Uttar Pradesh to protest the arrest of its MLAs in connection with Muzaffarnagar communal violence.
"Party workers staged dharnas at district headquarters to protest arrest of our MLAs and the partisan attitude of the Akhilesh Yadav government," BJP chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Memorandums, demanding dismissal of the Akhilesh government, addressed to the President were submitted to District Magistrates.
Leading the protest in Lucknow, state BJP chief Laxmi Kant Bajpai said police were arresting BJP MLAs and preventing their leaders from reaching Muzaffarnagar.
But, the accused of the incident of eve-teasing which sparked violence were still at large, he said.
The BJP leader alleged the names of several SP leaders involved in riots were struck out from the FIRs.
He alleged the state government was harassing BJP leaders and workers to appease a particular community.
The party had organised a shutdown in western part of the state yesterday to protest arrest of its MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared